Friday, March 26, 2010

Wizards' Arenas to be sentenced on gun charges


Gilbert Arenas, the Washington Wizards point guard will be sentenced for violating the gun laws in the District of Columbia. Arenas has been suspended from the NBA for the rest of the season. He pleaded guilty to illegally bringing four guns into the Wizards lockerroom. It happened during an on going dispute between him and his teammate Jarvaris Crittenton. Prosecutors want three months in jail for the All-star. They said Arenas lied about his the incident he also asked Crittenton to cover up their confrontation. As a part of the plea deal, Arenas will not get more than six months in jail. The judge of this case now says that Arenas will not serve any jail time. He will be sentenced to two years of supervised probation and will have to serve 30 days in a halfway house. Also 400 hours of community service and $5,000 fine to fund for victims of violence.


I'm on the fence for whether I agree with the sentencing or not. He didn't get any jail time when maybe he should have. On the other hand, he didn't hurt anyone so i guess there wasn't much of a reason to put him in jail. I'm a huge NBA fan and I'm also a fan of Gilbert Arenas but I really don't like to see basketball players get publicity for this type of thing. I look up to players like Arenas and I know a lot of other fans do as well but he is definantly not sending a good message. I hope he is ashamed and that he learns his lesson. I also hope that other players and athletes in other sports will change their ways if they too are making bad decisions. Professional athletes are role models whether they want to be or not and they all should send good messages by doing the right things.


No comments:

Post a Comment